Is this the longest survey ever, or is it just me? I had planned on completing it last week, but then all 3 kids came down with strep throat, which as you can imagine was an awesome time. Still, better than the barf fest that was Christmas 2009, so I am ok. I like this meme though, especially when it’s posted on blogs I am somewhat new to, because it’s a good way to catch up.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Worked from home full time. Put my feet in the Pacific Ocean. Spent a week in California for work and got to see many sites. Took up card making. Took up Zumba. Completed NaBloPoMo. Adopted a pain in the ass dog.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did so well for the first half of the year with my fitness related resolutions. But then FIL died and our whole life changed and I fell off the wagon in a major way. Fitnessy resolutions=epic fail. What else did I resolve? Let’s see:
Make a Consistent Effort to Work Out: Yes in the beginning of the year, and I stuck to my 1x weekly Zumba at the end. In the middle? Not so much.
Drink Water: So so on this one. I don’t know how to remind myself to drink when I am not even thirsty. I can go entire meals without a beverage. This is touch.
Count Calories: Ha. Hahaaaa. No. though I do have an app for it.
Cook More from Scratch: Yes to this one. We still had our fair share of hamburger helper (I like to call it hamby helpy, and it annoys just about everyone in this house) and TV dinners, but I also made many things all by myself with no box.
Tell Hub When I Need Alone Time: I think so. I had quite a few nights out this past year, and you might not believe it, but spending 6 nights alone in a hotel room does wonders for the woman who is craving alone time.
Spend More One on One time with Each of the Kids: So so on this one too. Bud and I had one date in 2011 where we played mini golf and went to Build a Bear, just us. The girls with girls boys with boys dynamic happened much more often.
I do have some resolutions for this year, but they will get their own post. I’m not starting my New Year officially until this coming Sunday because today is my official first day back to work, thank you New Year’s Day (observed) bank holiday, and Bud’s birthday is Saturday, making that our last official holiday function of the year. So, my First Monday is going to be 1/9 this year. What with that extra day in February, I think it is ok.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Only our live-in 3rd parent/pair of hands. It has been nearly 7 months, and I still cannot believe FIL is gone. It is still unfathomable to me that he is not upstairs right now. I know he’s not, obviously. And yet…I don’t believe it.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. My license expires this year so at the very least I will get the enhanced license so I can travel to Canada.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Motivation. Willpower. A hot tub.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 14th, the day FIL died. I still remember the feeling of needing to sit down, lest I collapse the second Hub told me, and rushing the kids out of the house so they were gone before the police arrived. I remember changing from my pajamas in the McDonalds bathroom, and trying to keep it together so that the kids wouldn’t know anything was up, and sitting through gymnastics staring ahead at the wall wondering just what the hell we were going to do. It was probably the worst day of my life.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Managing to stay employed and meet without the confines of a regular office.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Fitness and eating well. I don’t know why those are the easiest things to talk myself out of.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope. I think my answer has been no for several years now. Which means I am due.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The weekend away in wine country with Hub (and several bottles of wine), and we put a deposit down on a hot tub but that will be a 2012 purchase.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Again, Hub’s. There have been some really rough and dark days (Father’s day, anyone?) but he has been so strong and so great to the kids.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
If anyone would tell me exactly what was going on, I am sure I would say my soon to be ex-SIL.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage. Cars. Groceries.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our Cedar Point trip.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Sadder.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising. Spending time playing games with the kids.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eating junk. Yelling, omg, the yelling.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In the usual way: Christmas Eve with Hub’s Family and we had my family here for Christmas brunch. We stopped at my uncle’s in the evening.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
No, I don’t really think so.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The USA Network really has a hold on me: Psych, Suits, White Collar. Also, Breaking Bad, Modern Family and Raising Hope.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
I really enjoyed The Help.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
New furniture. That is definitely on my list for 2012.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Crazy, Stupid Love. Hanna. Our Idiot Brother. The Muppets.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33. We dropped the kids off with my parents and had dinner and cheesecake. We left in the morning for our weekend away.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I’m not really sure.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
2011 could easily be described as “The Year I Didn’t Get Dressed”.
32. What kept you sane?
My Blog, The Twitters, Regular Girls’ Nights Out
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Howard Stern. Robert Downey Jr. Ryan Gosling (um, his abs. His face not so much.)
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
There were a couple local things, purchasing land near our local high school for a safer driveway etc. Nationally-Healthcare.
35. Who did you miss?
FIL. A lot. More I think because the kids have missed him so much.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I don’t think I met anyone new this year.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Sometimes you just need to suck it up and get things done.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Wait, you don't like Ryan Gosling's FACE? Ha.Can't wait for the resolution post! Happy New Year!!
I missed you so much. I hope 2012 is a healing and wonderful year for you all. Love you, Paprika
I'm sorry for the loss of your father-in-law. I lost mine last year, too, but we weren't as close. Still, any parental loss is tough.What kind of work do you do? I work at home, too, subcontracting for my sister who's a freelance health writer.