By nature, I am not someone who puts much stock in worrying about situations before there is a definite outcome in sight. As a rule I don’t see the point in causing myself stress when it is anybody’s guess as to what will happen. This frustrates people, namely my mother and my husband, who would prefer to hash out all possible scenarios of a particular situation and prepare to deal with all of them. It probably comes off as being lackadaisical on my part, but really, I just tend to be careful about expending my emotional energy.
Knowing the above, you will understand that it was completely out of character for me to go in to full catastrophe mode yesterday when my OB merely suggested that a c-section could be in my future. Until I hashed a ton of it out on Twitter with Arwen, the only words that I heard over and over again were “Likely c-section. Likely c-section.” They were on repeat, over and over again for the better part of the day. I have clarity now though, so let’s start at the beginning.
This was my first appointment with the actual OB during this pregnancy. Until now, I’ve seen the NP each time. NP is great. Really, the 2 OBs and the NP in this practice are phenomenal. They took me in with no questions asked about halfway through my last pregnancy after the practice of midwives I had used disbanded. I have had nothing but fantastic care from them, and I credit their monitoring and really paying attention to my history with Hannah being my only baby who was not hypo-glycemic at birth and the only one who did not visit the NICU. While Eddie was only there for a short while, Cait’s birth and NICU stay scarred me, and scarred me horribly. They listened to my every concern and we came up with a plan together for a healthy birth and healthy baby Hannah, and it worked. But anyway…the NP doesn’t do most of the deliveries and may have led me on about having very good chances of a vaginal birth.
Ed came with me yesterday just on a whim, and of course was keen on discussing the delivery. OB wanted to anyway since she hadn’t seen me. She started off with “So, you know that if both are head down, you are good for vaginal. Anything else, we usually do a c-section.” To which I replied “NP said if baby A was head down we are good to go.” This resulted in a long discussion. And I am glad there was discussion even if I failed to remember most of it until the beating of the words probable c-section left my head last night. So, here is what the OB said:
- If I don’t go in to labor on my own, I will be induced or have a c-section at 38 weeks–March 13th ish, which is um…13 weeks away.
- I have a proven pelvis and can likely handle a vaginal birth regardless of Baby B’s position.
- I have a history having large babies. If the twins get too large, it is entirely possible to have my uterus completely give out–regardless of my history, there is only so much stretching that can be done.
- If she were placing bets, she would bet on my carrying the babies to 38 weeks.
- I have a history of very fast births (Eddie, with pitocin: labor total 9 hours (4 hours was pushing out his giant 10lb head), Cait, no pitocin: labored for maybe 3 hours, and Hannah- full induction: labor lasted 5 hours) If I went in to labor on my own with these 2, the situation could go bad very quickly. Basically, once my water breaks, my babies come full force.
- I should be prepared that no matter what kind of birth it is, it will not be warm and fuzzy, but rather monitored, chaotic, and will occur in the operating room with her, the hospital specialists and a team for each baby standing by.
- Even if Baby A flies out with no problems, I could find myself having a c-section to get Baby B out, giving me 2 types of recovery to worry about.
- Based on all of this, she is committed to playing it by ear and using the sonograms and the direction of the fetal specialists I see at the hospital for the scans to make an educated decision about what kind of birth I will have.
- I want what is best and safest for the babies first, then what is best for me. She feels the same.
So that is where we stand. Do I feel better about it all today than I did yesterday? I do. I am not against scheduling induction as long as I have a say in the way it happens–that is how it worked with Hannah and it was fine. I don’t particularly want to schedule a c-section. I don’t want to recover from surgery while being responsible for 2 newborns. I just don’t. BUT if their position or the state of my uterus or whatever warrants it, I will accept it. I’m not saying that I won’t panic, but I will accept it.
For the next several weeks though, I’m going back to my usual M.O. I’m simply not going to worry about it, because worrying doesn’t matter. The result will be what it will be regardless of my fretting. The result needs to be healthy babies (and healthy me) regardless of how we get there.
SO! Brisk clap! I am done here! Whatever will be will be.