To be honest, I cannot believe that I have put it off this long. We don’t know if the babies are boys or girls yet, but with that revelation looming, and my second trimester starting next week, it seems like it is time to at the very least make a preliminary list. We decided on Hannah’s name maybe a week before we knew she was a girl. (Her name prompted my favorite post of all time, by the way, here.) Until then, we had kicked a few names around, but nothing was The Name. If I don’t start making some lists now though, I’m not sure that we will ever come to an agreement. We’ve had some small discussions, but nothing of any consequence yet. We have time, but the planner in me needs to have things decided sooner rather than later.
So, without further ado, here is the preliminary list:
- Henry- Ed wasn’t completely sold on this one until my mother vehemently opposed it. If there is a boy in my belly, he will be Henry. I like the way this fits with our other names as well.
- Mason- this is Eddie’s middle name, so it’s kind of weird, but we are looking for a way to honor Ed’s dad without using his first name, because he hated his first name with a passion. Mason was his middle name as well.
- Carter- we both like it, though it seems a little bit too modern with the rest of the kids’ names.
- Matthew- this is my brother’s name, Ed doesn’t consider it “naming a baby after my brother”, he just likes the name. I think it’s weird.
A short list for boys. I’ve never had to name a boy, as Eddie’s name was a given, so I have no back ups, no would have used, or anything. I am very open to suggestions.
- Georgia- I am so in love with this name, but Ed says it reminds him of a southern stripper, so it is quite unlikely that I will get to use it.
- Jane (nn Janie)- Love Love Love. Ed says he will always sing “Janie’s got a gun” and that puts him off.
- Vivienne- this is my favorite as of today. No, I do not care about the Brad and Angie association. I think it is a great alternative to Olivia, one of my favorite but unusable names. I like the idea of a little Vivi running around. I have not mentioned this name to Ed yet.
- Genevieve- I would struggle to not always pronounce this in the beautiful french way. I would love the nickname Evie. I have not mentioned this name to Ed yet.
- Molly- this has been a backup name of ours for years and it has never stuck. My grandfather always wanted a daughter or granddaughter named Molly. I’ve…known too many dogs named Molly and I don’t know if I could convert it to a person name at this point.
- Olivia- this is on Ed’s list. If you know my last name, use O as an initial before it. No. Just no. But he is fighting!!
- Abby- This is another of our backups, Ed’s #1 name. I have 2 problems, the first being that our good friend has a daughter named Abby. We see her at least weekly. Her Abby is 12 though. The second issue is that just before we were married, one of Ed’s co-workers was writing him sappy emails. Long story short, I went batshit crazy on her. Her name was Abby, and I still have a bitter taste in my mouth about her 10 years later.
I just had a thought–wouldn’t Vivienne and Genevieve be fabulous names for 2 girls? Oh, I think they would!!
So obviously, we will have a much easier time naming girls than naming boys–though maybe not since we haven’t agreed on anything yet. I would like to know the opinions of the masses though. What do you think of my list? What are your favorite names for me, based on the rest of our kiddos’ names? What are your favorite names for you?