To be honest, I cannot believe that I have put it off this long. We don’t know if the babies are boys or girls yet, but with that revelation looming, and my second trimester starting next week, it seems like it is time to at the very least make a preliminary list. We decided on Hannah’s name maybe a week before we knew she was a girl. (Her name prompted my favorite post of all time, by the way, here.) Until then, we had kicked a few names around, but nothing was The Name. If I don’t start making some lists now though, I’m not sure that we will ever come to an agreement. We’ve had some small discussions, but nothing of any consequence yet. We have time, but the planner in me needs to have things decided sooner rather than later.
So, without further ado, here is the preliminary list:
- Henry- Ed wasn’t completely sold on this one until my mother vehemently opposed it. If there is a boy in my belly, he will be Henry. I like the way this fits with our other names as well.
- Mason- this is Eddie’s middle name, so it’s kind of weird, but we are looking for a way to honor Ed’s dad without using his first name, because he hated his first name with a passion. Mason was his middle name as well.
- Carter- we both like it, though it seems a little bit too modern with the rest of the kids’ names.
- Matthew- this is my brother’s name, Ed doesn’t consider it “naming a baby after my brother”, he just likes the name. I think it’s weird.
A short list for boys. I’ve never had to name a boy, as Eddie’s name was a given, so I have no back ups, no would have used, or anything. I am very open to suggestions.
- Georgia- I am so in love with this name, but Ed says it reminds him of a southern stripper, so it is quite unlikely that I will get to use it.
- Jane (nn Janie)- Love Love Love. Ed says he will always sing “Janie’s got a gun” and that puts him off.
- Vivienne- this is my favorite as of today. No, I do not care about the Brad and Angie association. I think it is a great alternative to Olivia, one of my favorite but unusable names. I like the idea of a little Vivi running around. I have not mentioned this name to Ed yet.
- Genevieve- I would struggle to not always pronounce this in the beautiful french way. I would love the nickname Evie. I have not mentioned this name to Ed yet.
- Molly- this has been a backup name of ours for years and it has never stuck. My grandfather always wanted a daughter or granddaughter named Molly. I’ve…known too many dogs named Molly and I don’t know if I could convert it to a person name at this point.
- Olivia- this is on Ed’s list. If you know my last name, use O as an initial before it. No. Just no. But he is fighting!!
- Abby- This is another of our backups, Ed’s #1 name. I have 2 problems, the first being that our good friend has a daughter named Abby. We see her at least weekly. Her Abby is 12 though. The second issue is that just before we were married, one of Ed’s co-workers was writing him sappy emails. Long story short, I went batshit crazy on her. Her name was Abby, and I still have a bitter taste in my mouth about her 10 years later.
I just had a thought–wouldn’t Vivienne and Genevieve be fabulous names for 2 girls? Oh, I think they would!!
So obviously, we will have a much easier time naming girls than naming boys–though maybe not since we haven’t agreed on anything yet. I would like to know the opinions of the masses though. What do you think of my list? What are your favorite names for me, based on the rest of our kiddos’ names? What are your favorite names for you?
Ohhhhh I LOVE the name Georgia. Lovelovelove.
Actually, I really like all of your name options. But for the reasons mentioned in #6 (haaaaaaa) and #7 (I would like more details on this story, please), I think the others are on top of the list.
How cute would Henry and Jane be for b-g twins? I also love Georgia. We struggled with boy names too.
I have been so sad recently not to be able to use: Annabel, Genevieve, Eloise, Eliza, Simon, George, Karl.
Ah! Henry and George for twin boys! George is perfect since Georgia is out, and Henry and George are perfect with Eddie’s name!
Love the Henry and George suggestion from Swistle for twin boys and I wholeheartedly agree with your Vivienne and Genevieve idea for girl twins!
Also, that would TOTALLY ruin Abby for me and I wouldn’t even use it for a pet.
They’ll always be Guacamole and Margarita to me, but if you insist…
Vivienne and Genevieve for girls is PERFECT. Vivi and Evie – OMG, I just died on my sofa from the cute. Seriously, I can think of nothing better for twin girls ever. Works well with your last name.
I do love Henry and Jane together for mixed gender twins. They sound so classic and adorable.
Carter was our boy name of choice and I don’t think it seems too modern with your other kids’ names at all. Henry and Carter? Hmmm. I like Henry and Alexander. Henry and Mudge (sorry, too many kid books, it just came out). If you do Henry and George, then you have a complete triumverate of king names!
Oh, I don’t know how you’re going to do this.
Vivienne and Genevieve! Darling!
(Swistle: Eloise is one of those “after the fact” names I thought of for Sophie. At one point DH wanted a nickname of Ellie but without the NAME Ellie. Oh well.)
I always like Gwenivere (er, however you wanna spell that name), but it just seemed like too much with our last name.
No, I would NOT do an O name with your last name. NO WAY. Is there a Livienne? You could still pull the “Liv” out of Olivia? Livienne and Genevieve!
I kind of think that Vivienne and Genevieve sound a little too twin-like for my taste. I mean, they really DON’T, but they also DO at the same time. I’m sure that doesn’t make sense. Maybe it’s just that I’m a twin and self-conscious about people thinking we were too much alike. I DO think Henry and Vivienne would be super cute together, if it were a boy-girl. 🙂
I had the same thought as Bee about Vivienne and Genevieve. but again, I’m kind of sensitive to “twin-y” sounding names.
I love the name Carter. And I laughed out loud at the picture of your mom’s horror over the name Henry. bahahaha.
My favorite girl name right now is Brooklyn. (Nate is not a fan.)
I really want you to have boy girl twins named Henry and Georgia. I really like all of your name choices, though.
I like your naming style. All good choices. Carter has been on my list too. I don’t know if Matt likes it. And I’m not sure it fits for our family, but I’m leaving it on there since my list is so short. We have such a hard time agreeing on names.
My favorites from your list are Genevieve and Vivienne together. Henry & Georgia. Mason & Carter.
Shelly totally cracked me up. This whole thing is totes crazy yo. I don’t even know how you go about naming another human being. I can’t even begin to figure it out. So, good luck with all that babes. I know you’ll come to the right decision! ❤ Paprika
I see a lot of interesting content on your website.
You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you
a lot of work, there is a tool that creates unique, google
friendly articles in couple of seconds, just type
in google – laranita’s free content source
It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am happy that
you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please
keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.