At this point in all of my other pregnancies, my baby was named. Maybe with some questions about the middle name, but always named. I’m not entirely sure what the problem is this time around, especially because I am a preparer by nature. I think of these babies though, and what their names are, and my mind goes blank and I go in to a mild panic. I just have no idea! Maybe because this is my last shot at naming babies I am putting too much pressure on myself. I sort of want their names to be perfect. Ed is not being helpful, ever since the great Melissa debate. He says that my dislike of the name, even though I did agree and allowed for Millie as a nickname, has ruined it for him. He wants me to come up with names, and then he will agree or disagree. I want an active 2-sided discussion. None of this is happening.
So this leaves me making lists both in my head and on paper, and crossing things off, both mentally and for real, and mostly feeling like we will never ever name these babies.
I’ve been calling them Thurston and Reba since Tuesday. Just for fun, in a “we would NOT EVER call our kids this” kind of way. I have to call them something other than Baby Girl and Baby Boy.
I guess now is the time for a list.
Here are names that I/we like that cannot be used:
- Olivia -issue with our last name
- Abby/Abigail- bad association from a good 12 years ago, and our good friends’ daughter’s name.
- Genevieve- Ed hates it
- Vivienne- Ed hates it
- Eleanor-was my grandmother’s name and she and Ed had a…stormy relationship. Also my cousin has a baby Eleanor.
- Henry- we just aren’t feeling it anymore. It doesn’t lend itself to shortening/nicknaming which I am fond of (and NO to Hank)
- Benjamin- Bad association from high school, sounds weird with our last name.
- Samuel- Niece who spends a lot of time here, is Samantha who goes by Sam/Sami
Here are the names I have been kicking around as of late in no particular order:
So, yeah. Maybe I should copy this whole post and email it to Swistle to dissect. Or maybe I should really just name them Thurston and Reba. They would be fairly unique for sure!
Or maybe you all should just name my babies!
Yes, I vote for that option.